Nothing to eat or drink 8 hrs before your surgery. Blood pressure and thyroid medications may be taken with a sip of water the morning of surgery. REMOVE jewelry and contact lenses.
Arrive at the hospital 1 ½ hours BEFORE the time of your surgery. Wear loose fitted, comfortable clothing.
BOWEL PREP INSTRUCTIONS- (If your doctor recommends day before surgery)
You will need to purchase the following items:
1) Dulcolax 5 mg tablets x 4
2) Miralax 238 gms
3) 32 oz Gatorade x 2
Day prior to the procedure, please follow the instructions listed below:
1) Clear liquids for all meals the day before surgery. Clear liquids include: broth, jello, black coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, apple juice and popsicles. No solid foods, juices with pulp or milk products on the day before the procedure.
2) At approximately 12:00 PM (noon): Take Dulcolax 5 mg x 4. Mix ½ the bottle of Miralax (238 gm) into a 32 oz Gatorade bottle and refrigerate. Mix the second half of the Miralax into the second bottle of Gatorade and refrigerate.
3) At approximately 5:00 PM: Begin drinking the first bottle of Gatorade/Miralax solution at a rate of 8 oz every 10-15 min.
4) At approximately 7:00 PM: Begin drinking the second bottle of Gatorade/Miralax solution at a rate of 8 oz every 10-15 min.
It is also recommended that you continue to drink at least 32 oz of additional clear liquids during the course of your bowel prep.
REMEMBER: NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE.